Return to Naval Historical
Center home page.
Return to Online
Library listing
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060
Online Library of Selected Images:
-- U.S. NAVY SHIPS --
USS Get There (SP-579), 1917-1919.
Originally the civilian motor boat Get There, built in
1916
Get There, a 58' 1½" motor pleasure craft,
was built in 1916 by Wood & McClure of City Island, New York.
She was leased by the Navy in July 1917 and placed in commission
in August as USS Get There (SP-579). She spent the remainder
of World War I and the first months following the November 1918
Armistice as a patrol and transportation craft in the vicinity
of New York Harbor. Get There was decommissioned in March
1919 and returned to her owner, J.S. Bache of New York City.
This page features all the views we have concerning USS
Get There (SP-579) and the motor boat Get There
of 1916.
Click on the small photograph to prompt
a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: NH 96133
Get There (American Motor Boat, 1916)
Photographed by Edwin Levick, of New York City, while underway
circa 1916-1917.
This pleasure craft was acquired by the Navy on 14 July 1917
and commissioned on 10 August 1917 as USS Get There (SP-579).
She was returned to her owner on 13 March 1919.
The original photograph is in Record Group 19-LCM in the National
Archives.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 53KB; 740 x 605 pixels |
 |
Photo #: NH 102948
USS Get There (SP-579)
Underway in New York Harbor, circa 1917-1918.
Photographed from USS Indiana (Battleship # 1).
The original print is entitled "An Admirals Barge in N.Y.".
Collection of Arthur J. Rozett.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 90KB; 740 x 565 pixels |
 |
Photo #: NH 102949
USS Get There (SP-579)
Coming alongside USS Indiana (Battleship # 1), in New
York Harbor, circa 1917-1918.
Collection of Arthur J. Rozett.
U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.
Online Image: 104KB; 740 x 570 pixels |
 |
Return to Naval
Historical Center home page.
Page made 23 October 2005